Want to learn more about who you are? Even if you don’t identify with the traits common to your sun sign, the act of self reflection on the traits present in your sign will help you get to know yourself better. If you were born between June 21 and July 22, you will be analyzing the Cancer sign as your sun sign.
Cancers are the fourth sign of the Zodiac and are deeply in touch with their emotions.
Understanding the Sun Sign
While most people know their sun sign, not everyone knows that there are two other signs: moon and the rising, or ascendant, sign. If you aren’t sure what your different signs are, use a birth chart to determine each of your signs. They correspond with different elements of your personality, from who you are inwardly, the facade you present to the world, and who you were born to be.
Knowing each of your signs will give you a much more well rounded perspective on your personality.
The Sun Sign, Moon Sign, and Rising Sign
- Sun Sign: These are the zodiac signs most people are familiar with. This sign gives a basic understanding of who you are and is determined by the date of your birth.
- Moon Sign: This sign reveals who you are internally at your core and how you feel emotionally: the parts of yourself you don’t openly share with the world. You determine this sign through the date and time of your birth on your natal chart.
- Ascendant, or Rising Sign: This sign reveals the exterior façade you show the world. It’s the mask you wear before you feel comfortable enough to reveal what your moon sign says about you. The date, time, and location of your birth determines this sign.
Not really identifying with the traits of your sun sign? That’s okay! That’s why there are two other signs to help capture the complexity of who you are. If you don’t see yourself in your sun sign, you might find you identify more with your moon or rising sign.
The Cancer Sun Sign
Of the zodiac signs, Cancer is number four on the calendar. They’re represented by the crab, which is a perfect metaphor for the Cancer who retreats into their shell or can sometimes be “crabby.”
Cancer, along with Scorpio and Pisces, is a water sign – fitting for the sign of the crab. This means they can change course and are willing to go with the flow of the universe. They are tied to one identity or passion. They’re willing to open themselves up to the changing tides of the world.
Cancer is a cardinal sign, which means they begin a new season. As Cancer is the fourth sign of the zodiac, Cancer begins summer, and as a cardinal sign, is willing to lead and welcome change.
The Cancer’s ruling planet is the moon: mysterious and constantly changing faces, but ultimately staying steady and true.
The Cancer Sign Personality
The Cancer personality is one deeply rooted in emotion. They’re in touch with their own emotional experience and can read others’ emotions as well. They don’t choose to share their emotions widely, instead thriving in small groups where they can truly be themselves. They’re introverts, and when they don’t feel emotionally secure, will retreat into their shells, so to speak.
Be gentle with those born under the Cancer sign. As they’re in touch with their emotions, they feel things deeply, so insults will cut deep. They will perseverate over the smallest comments and their anxiety can consume them. With their advanced capacity to feel and process emotions comes inevitable sensitivity.
On the other hand, if you are experiencing trauma of your own, lean on a Cancer. Once a Cancer has chosen you as one of their own, they will do anything and everything for close friends and family members as they care deeply about those closest to them.
They can read your emotions and will know exactly what you need. They are very nurturing and want to see you thrive and succeed. And they help you grow and prosper, giving you all they can to help you follow your dreams or overcome adversity.
Cancer Sign Personality Traits
If you were born between June 21 and July 22, you probably identify with these traits:
- Emotional: Cancers are deeply in touch with their emotions. They also are empathic and read other people’s emotions as well. They feel deeply and can be easily hurt by wearing their hearts on their sleeves. However, it’s a beautiful moment when they feel they can open up to people.
- Nurturing: Cancers use their emotional capacity to help others grow. They’re there for you when you’re sick and they help you achieve your dreams, no matter what it takes. They make excellent parents, aunts, or uncles.
- Sensitive: Be careful what you say to a Cancer. Because they are so emotional, they can take any comment, no matter how unintentionally harmless, to heart.
- Insecure: One thing a Cancer lacks is confidence. They can be unsure of themselves, which adds to their tendency to stick to only a few close friends.
- Intuitive: Cancers are adept at reading people. Don’t try to keep a secret from them; they’ll know you’re lying and will find out the truth.
- Reclusive: Just like their symbol, the crab, those born under the Cancer sign will retreat into their shells. And when they feel threatened or nervous, they feel the need to protect themselves fiercely. This can make them feel distant from their friends, since they won’t open up and ask for help.
The Sign of Emotion
Cancers are highly emotional people, which makes them someone to cherish, protect, and lean on for support. They make sure everyone around them feels safe and loved, because they know how painful it is not to be cared for.
This sign ruled by the moon will be a friend for life and will give their all in their romantic relationships. They want everyone to feel comfortable in their own skin.
If you were born under the Cancer sign and want to use your compassion and emotion to further your career, join WBD! We have the tools and community to help you pursue your professional dreams. Check out our membership levels and download our app today!Published in
Author, Artist, Photographer.
Sarah Margaret is an artist who expresses her love for feminism, equality, and justice through a variety of mediums: photography, filmmaking, poetry, illustration, song, acting, and of course, writing.
She owns Still Poetry Photography, a company that showcases her passion for capturing poetic moments in time. Instead of poetry in motion, she captures visual poetry in fractions of a second, making cherished keepsakes of unforgettable moments.
She is the artist behind the Still Poetry Etsy shop, which houses her illustrations and bespoke, handmade items. She is the author of intricacies are just cracks in the wall, a narrative poetry anthology that follows a young woman discovering herself as she emerges from an abusive relationship.