Soul searching isn’t just a meaningless buzzword used in self-help books. If pursued properly, a soul-searching journey can be a valuable tool to bring you closer to a more fulfilled life. If you feel like you are destined for something more, or you aren’t living the life you were born to live, or you just want to take your life in a different direction, you could stand to do a bit of soul searching.
Here are some tips to keep you inspired during your soul-searching journey.
Soul Searching Meaning
So if soul searching isn’t just a meaningless phrase, what does it actually mean?
Soul searching is the practice of reflection that leads to growth. While it sounds simple, it’s actually quite a complicated process.
Soul searching is the act of spending time with yourself in order to figure out what you really want out of life. Once you divined what you want your life to look like, it’s time for the more difficult part: bringing about the change you need to move forward in a different direction.
While creating a life that brings you more joy will eventually feel satisfying, the process doesn’t always feel good. It’s difficult to untangle how you really feel and figure out what you really want.
How Do I Start Soul Searching?
If you think it’s time to reimagine what your life could be, re-evaluate your priorities, and make a meaningful change in the way you live your life, it’s time to start soul searching.
So how do you start?
First, you need to give yourself time and space away from everything in your life that causes distractions, even if it’s just for one hour.
This list can include your:
- To-do list
Remember, you aren’t giving these things up permanently. You’re just walking away for a bit to focus only on yourself.
If you’re a parent, it’s important to make sure you give someone else the job of caring for your kids for your soul-searching hour so you aren’t interrupted. Let your spouse know they’re in charge or hire a babysitter.
Once You’re Distraction Free
Once you’ve separated yourself from distractions, it’s time to pay attention to yourself. It can be overwhelming for some people to sit completely alone with their thoughts, so if you feel like this applies to you, here are some tips on what you can do to recenter without just sitting alone and thinking.
- Bring along a journal. Writing down thoughts, questions, or even just doodling on the page can help you untangle what’s going on in your head.
- Bring a coloring page. If you give yourself something to focus on, you can organize your thoughts more clearly, instead of focusing on all the things you have left on your to-do list.
- Listen to a meditation. Meditating can be an extremely useful way to clear your head and focus on your inner thoughts. To get started, use an app like Insight Timer to help you find the meditation track that’s right for you.
Once you figure out what you want your life to look like, it’s time to make it happen. Make an action plan for how you can accomplish your goals. No step is too small.
A goal like “be happier” is extremely generic and broad. How can you accomplish that?
Figure out what makes you happy. Find ways to bring joy into your life in unique ways. Make small, deliberate choices every day that brings you closer to that goal.
If you break up big goals into small, bite-sized tasks, you can take small steps every day towards making your dream a reality.
Soul Searching Quotes
When you start the soul-searching process, it’s helpful to have a mantra of sorts to guide you.
Here are some thoughtful quotes that can guide your way.
- “Happiness resides not in possessions, and not in gold, happiness dwells in the soul.” – Democritus/li>
- “The darkness you inevitably succumb to is afraid of how radiant your soul truly is.” – Nidhi M. Jhaveri
- “Find your bones. Believe in what you are.” – Grace Sara
- “Nothing in all creation is so like God as stillness.” – Meister Eckhart
- “Don’t ever stop believing in your own transformation. It is still happening even on days you may not realize it or feel like it.” – Lalah Delia
- “Sometimes you just have to find the majesty in yourself and other things to truly appreciate life.”- Imania Margria
- “Never forget that there is a soul within you, which loves you very much, only because it’s you.” – Munia Khan
Soul Searching Isn’t Easy
While it’s always easier to just sit back and watch Netflix, putting in the effort to truly know yourself will make you happier in the long run. The personal growth that comes through the act of soul searching will help you feel more fulfilled and purposeful. Invest in your future joy by doing the hard work of discovering yourself, your goals, and your passions.
Author, Artist, Photographer.
Sarah Margaret is an artist who expresses her love for feminism, equality, and justice through a variety of mediums: photography, filmmaking, poetry, illustration, song, acting, and of course, writing.
She owns Still Poetry Photography, a company that showcases her passion for capturing poetic moments in time. Instead of poetry in motion, she captures visual poetry in fractions of a second, making cherished keepsakes of unforgettable moments.
She is the artist behind the Still Poetry Etsy shop, which houses her illustrations and bespoke, handmade items. She is the author of intricacies are just cracks in the wall, a narrative poetry anthology that follows a young woman discovering herself as she emerges from an abusive relationship.