Mental health plays just as important a role in the quality of your day-to-day life as physical health. Without one, you cannot have the other, so just like it’s vital to eat healthy foods and work out routinely, you need to care for your emotional health just as diligently. Checking in with yourself regularly can help you maintain good mental health. If during those checks, you feel that something is wrong, you can take steps to treat those mental health issues.
In honor of Mental Health Awareness Month, let’s take a look at some empowering mental health quotes that will leave you inspired to take care of yourself and those around you.
Mental Health Quotes
Quotes on Positivity
Positivity – true positivity, not toxic positivity – can be life-changing. Don’t accept quips such as “it’ll be fine!” and “don’t be so negative!” from friends and family who don’t allow you to fully experience your emotions.
Genuine positivity is a mindset that takes work, but once you choose to live a life looking on the bright side, it will change the way you see everything.
Here are some quotes by some influential figures on the power of authentic positivity.
- “I truly believe in positive synergy, that your positive mindset gives you a more hopeful outlook, and belief that you can do something great means you will do something great.” – Russell Wilson
- “Talk to yourself like you would to someone you love.” – Brene Brown
- “There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.” – John Green
Quotes on Resilience
When experiencing a mental health crisis, or just the day-to-day stressors of conditions like anxiety, it takes a lot of strength to keep moving forward. Here are some great quotes about resiliency.
- “What matters most is how well you walk through the fire.” – Charles Bukowski
- “I understand your pain. Trust me, I do. I’ve seen people go from the darkest moments in their lives to living a happy, fulfilling life. You can do it too. I believe in you.” – Sophie Turner
- “You look at me and cry; everything hurts. I hold you and whisper: but everything can heal.” – Rupi Kaur
- “One small crack does not mean that you are broken, it means that you were put to the test and you didn’t fall apart.” – Linda Poindexter
Quotes on Community
A large part of surviving mental illness is having a strong support network within your friends and family. Being vulnerable and honest with those closest to you can be the very thing that helps you get through the darkest times in your life.
Here are some quotes about how opening up to friends can give you a more positive mental health journey.
- “Anything that’s human is mentionable, and anything that is mentionable can be more manageable. When we can talk about our feelings, they become less overwhelming, less upsetting, and less scary. The people we trust with that important talk can help us know that we are not alone.” – Fred Rogers
- “Vulnerability is not winning or losing; it’s having the courage to show up and be seen when we have no control over the outcome.” – Brene Brown
- “You can live well with a mental health condition, as long as you open up to somebody about it, because it’s really important you share your experience with people so that you can get the help you need.” – Demi Lovato
- “The humanity we all share is more important than the mental illnesses we may not.” – Elyn R. Saks
Mental Health Quotes on Honesty
A lot of people never get the help they need because they can’t take the first step and admit to themselves that they deserve better mental health. If you can’t be open and honest with yourself that you might be experiencing mental health issues, then you can’t be honest with your friends or medical care providers.
Here are some great quotes about the power of opening up the conversation about mental illness and mental health.
- “If we start being honest about our pain, our anger, and our shortcomings instead of pretending they don’t exist, then maybe we’ll leave the world a better place than we found it.” – Russell Wilson
- “What mental health needs is more sunlight, more candor, and more unashamed conversation.” – Glenn Close
- “I think it’s really important to take the stigma away from mental health…My brain and my heart are really important to me. I don’t know why I wouldn’t seek help to have those things be as healthy as my teeth?” – Kerry Washington
- “Self-care is how you take your power back.” – Lalah Delia
Give Yourself the Gift of Compassion
We hope these inspiring quotes on mental health have inspired you to prioritize your mental health today.
If you think you might be suffering from a mental illness such as depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, PTSD, or any other condition, talk to your doctor about finding a specialist who can give you the medical care you need. If you don’t have access to an in-person doctor, try finding a therapist or psychiatrist on Teleadoc or through one of the many virtual therapy platforms available online.
Do not suffer in silence. Find your joy by reaching out to friends, doing the things that make you happy, and getting the medical care you need.
- Service Animals and ESAs: Know Your Rights in the Workplace - October 21, 2021
- Earth Signs of the Zodiac: Taurus, Virgo, and Capricorn - October 20, 2021
- The Best Vacuum for Pet Hair: Our Top 6 Picks - October 19, 2021