For a lot of people who own their own company, their business is their baby. There’s a lot that can go wrong when you’re running your own show, especially within the first couple of years. It’s said that up to 90% of startups fail within this timeframe, which is a scary thought for those going into their beginning months. Given such high statistics, it’s no wonder that more thought is given to how you’re going to get your business to thrive within the economy rather than sparing thought for what other things could go wrong. Here’s how you should be protecting your business from the physicalities:
Whether you are working from home or in a designated office, you need to ensure that you are following the correct protocol for fire safety within your building and have the necessary equipment as both a precaution and a prevention. Going with a trusted company such as AEL Fire Alarm Installations to fit a system into your place of work that alerts to a potential fire is keeping one step ahead of something that could completely ruin your business. If you are trading on physical stock, fire damage is one of the worst things that could happen. Even more so is the clause that is appearing on most insurance documents which are calling for a safety net of a fire alarm and extinguishers to be on site ready to act as a prevention. Learning which extinguishers you need for which fire and the basics of fire safety training is vital for staying one step ahead.
If you are on a floodplain or in a high risk area, your insurance company should have this noted and you usually will have already been made aware of it. If you are operating from a ground floor, you can never be too careful. Freak rain showers as well as a sudden change in weather and climate in certain places around the world can have an adverse effect on what we should expect. Putting all of our valuables and essentials on stilts/feet to get them just above ground level may seem over the top, but it could be saving you a pretty penny in the long run. Remember that floods can also come from the inside – it only takes somebody to leave a tap on accidentally and the drainage not being able to cope with the influx of extra water, and suddenly you’ve got yourself a problem.
Mold spreads quicker than you would think, and the results of it doing so mean that you may have to bin or burn what it touches if it isn’t easily wipe-cleaned. If you are moving into a damp office, ensure that it has been thoroughly checked through for any instances of mold, and that these have been removed and completely eradicated. The last thing that you want is to be caught unawares on the items that you are selling due to a problem that could have been halted before it spread. Always be vigilant and keep your office/work space well ventilated.Published in