No man is an island. It takes a village. Many hands make light work.
There are plenty of aphorisms and sayings about the power of community and positivity, and with good reason. With the right group of people, the collective effort is greater than the sum of its parts thanks to a concept called synergy. Not only can they get more done simply by virtue of having more hands, but by working together, they have access to more ideas and creativity that they could not have alone.
Instead of taking my word on the strength of community, let’s take a look at some famous community quotes by influential figures who understand the power of togetherness so you can get motivated.
Community Quotes from Activists
When fighting injustice and inequality, these activists know full well that you cannot change the world on your own.
- “I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the waters to create many ripples.” – Mother Teresa
- “In every community, there is work to be done. In every nation, there are wounds to heal. In every heart, there is the power to do it. – Marianne Williamson
- “The greatness of a community is most accurately measured by the compassionate actions of its members.” – Coretta Scott King
- “At the heart of all civilization…is ‘community’ – the mutually cooperative and voluntary venture of man to assume a semblance of responsibility for his brother.” – Martin Luther King Jr.
- “A person with ubuntu is open and available to others, affirming of others, does not feel threatened that others are able and good, for he or she has a proper self-assurance that comes from the knowing that he or she belongs in a greater whole and is diminished when others are diminished, when others are humiliated or diminished, when others are tortured or oppressed.” – Desmond Tutu
- We cannot seek achievement for ourselves and forget about progress and prosperity for our community… Our ambitions must be broad enough to include the aspirations and needs of others, for their sakes and for our own.” – Cesar Chavez
Community Quotes from Authors
No author creates in a vacuum. Every piece of writing is influenced by every piece that came before it. Authors cannot, and should not, escape the community of writers and the legacy of literature that came before them.
- “What should young people do with their lives today? Many things, obviously. But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured.” – Kurt Vonnegut
- “There is immense power when a group of people with similar interests gets together to work toward the same goals.” – Idowu Koyenikan
- “When the Stranger says: “What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?” What will you answer? “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? or “This is a community”? Oh my soul, be prepared for the coming of the Stranger. Be prepared for him who knows how to ask questions.” – T.S. Eliot
- “One of the most important things you can do on this earth is to let people know they are not alone.” – Shannon L. Alder
- “We don’t heal in isolation, but in community.” – S. Kelley Harrell
- “Where there is not community, trust, respect, ethical behavior are difficult for the young to learn and for the old to maintain.” – Robert K. Greenleaf
- “If you possess enough courage to speak out what you are, you will find you are not alone.” – Richard Wright
Community Quotes from Philosophers
Philosophers consider themselves the thinkers that come closest to understanding the purposes, motivations, and soul of humanity. Many of these philosophers have found a similar truth; the heart of humanity is a true community.
- “One of the marvelous things about community is that it enables us to welcome and help people in a way we couldn’t as individuals. When we pool our strength and share the work and responsibility, we can welcome many people.” – Jean Vanier
- “All struggle, all resistance is – must be – concrete. And all struggle has a global resonance. If not here, then there. If not now, then soon. Elsewhere as well as here.” – Susan Sontag
- “When… we, as individuals, obey laws that direct us to behave for the welfare of the community as a whole, we are indirectly helping to promote the pursuit of happiness by our fellow human beings.” – Aristotle
- “Each citizen should play his part in the community according to his individual gifts.” – Plato
Community Quotes from Political Leaders
When your job is dependent on votes, you start to understand the power a group of people can hold. The best political leaders are those who have the good of the community in mind.
- “The best education I received was working with people in the community on a grassroots basis. Because what it taught me was that ordinary people, when they are working together can do extraordinary things.” – Barack Obama
- “We must see others’ struggles as our own, and their success as our success, so we can speak to our common humanity.” – Ilhan Omar
- “What I try to tell young people is that if you come together with a mission, and it’s grounded with love and a sense of community, you can make the impossible possible.” – John Lewis
- “When we stand together, there is nothing, nothing, nothing we cannot accomplish.” – Bernie Sanders
The Power of Community
Chances are, you’ve witnessed the power of community in your lifetime. How can you use a community to achieve your goals in your business? In your personal life? In your neighborhood?
- Community Quotes: 21 Inspiring and Empowering Quotes - April 8, 2021
- Small Business Loans For Women Entrepreneurs - April 6, 2021
- What Is AHA and BHA Skin Care? - April 3, 2021