Entrepreneur: Brittany Garman
Industry: Event Planning
We are in full blown engagement season which means, it is a reason for celebration. Engagements are oh so very exciting but very overwhelming at the same time. It seems as though wedding preparations are never ending and that to-do list grows at an epic rate daily. To make at least one item on that to-list a little less daunting we have put together our top ten must-have gift registry items. Regardless of how big or small your wedding may be, we STRONGLY recommend a gift registry of some kind. Reason being, it is the perfect time to get some super nice household items you may not be able to justify buying for yourself like fancy china or a mega expensive blender. Also, with apps like Zola, MyRegistry.com, Giftster, etc. you can build a registry without having to leave your home. However, getting to experience the magic a registry price scanner is quite thrilling.
- Super Fancy Pickard China (It’s used on Air Force One!): Dishes in service for 12: This could either be everyday dishes or fine china depending on your needs and whether or not you like formal entertaining. Service for eight is generally a good rule of thumb to follow but after being married for a few years I have realized the importance of a few extra place settings.
- Food storage containers: These are an absolute must and are great items for guests to purchase for showers. Be sure to have both plastic and glass options on your registry. The glass is perfect for reheating leftovers as your really, really should not reheat food in a plastic container.
- A good set of cookware: This is oh so important if you are someone who is an avid cook. True story, my parents still have their original set of cookware from 1980 and it is in incredible shape. When a handle recently broke off my dad’s favorite skillet, he called the manufacturer and they immediately sent a replacement because the set has a LIFETIME warranty. All I can say is it paid off to get something a bit nicer. Also, with group gifting you can add that oober expensive saucepan to your registry without guests cringing at a price tag.
- A Kickin’ Blender: Blenders are so versatile and getting married is the perfect time to ask for a spendy Vitamix or something big and powerful like it…again…the benefits of group gifting. In the summer, I pretty much use my blender daily for smoothies which is awesome for a busy day when I need a quick meal on the go. In the fall and winter, a blender is amazing for making soup!
- Knife Set: You should always have a good, sharp and properly maintained set of knives in the kitchen. Dull knives are a hazard when cooking and you are more likely to cause injury to yourself with such. Reason being? You have to apply more pressure to a dull knife which means you have less control while cutting…therefore, injuries! Also, spring for an appropriate knife sharpener as well.
- Fluffy Bath Towels: I think this is pretty self-explanatory…nothing like having nice towels. Plus, they last longer.
- Luggage: You are planning a honeymoon, right? Why not get an awesome set of luggage to use immediately. This is something a lot of people do not think of when registering but it makes such a great gift and is quite practical.
- Stand Mixer: Like blenders, stand mixers are so versatile and well worth the investment. My mother-in-law still has had the same stand mixer for decades and I cannot tell you all the amazing things she has made with it over the years. She bought me one as well and I will forever be grateful 🙂
- A Selection of Serving Pieces: This could range from platters, bowls, and utensils and serving ware is something I regret not putting on my registry. Even if you do not play hostess very often it is highly likely you will.
- A Basic Tool Kit: So, this is probably the BEST and most helpful gift EVER received. My husband and I had a couple’s shower when we got married that was “man gift” themed. We received a number of basic tools like a drill, levels, wrenches, tape measures, etc. and they pretty much get used on a daily basis. From hanging pictures, tightening door hardware, you name it, I love myself a reason to break out some power tools.
Want tips and help planning your next event? Be sure to sign up at www.bashblok.com to experience the easiest and most collaborative way to manage all your events for free!